Honoring Those Who Served
Tributes to our fallen heroes can be found throughout Tallahassee.
Talented artists pay tribute to people and events that transcend the individual and represent the best in all of us. These monuments, memorials, and plaques are tangible reminders of our past. We invite you to visit these memorials and honor those who have served.
Located on the lawn of the Historic Capitol is a Civil War marble obelisk. The monument’s legend reads, “To rescue from oblivion and perpetuate in the memory of succeeding generations the heroic patriotism of the men of Leon County who perished in the Civil War of 1861-1865.”
Located in front of the Florida Archives R.A. Gray Building (Florida Museum of History), this monument is comprised of 67 plaques, each honoring veterans from one Florida county, and a central pillar, which is a replica of the Florida Pillar at the National Monument in Washington, DC.
Located at the southwest entrance of the Leon County Courthouse, the bronze sculpture of a World War II veteran is the work of local artist, Sandy Proctor. The dream of a group of citizens to see a World War II memorial in Tallahassee came true Sunday, Nov. 11, 2001 when the memorial was dedicated and unveiled.
Located in Cascades Park in downtown Tallahassee, the main entry to the Korean War Memorial occurs at the corner of Gaines Street and Suwannee Street. The concrete walkway, which meanders through Cascade Park, provides an approach where one will catch glimpses of the memorial area through the trees and doesn’t show the entire Memorial until the visitor has fully arrived.
Located across Monroe Street from the Historic Capitol Building is Florida’s Vietnam War Memorial. Dedicated on Nov. 12, 1985, by Gov. Bob Graham, the memorial, with its twenty-eight by fifteen foot U.S. flag, contains the names of all known Floridians killed in the war. The Sunshine State is currently home to more than 496,000 Vietnam veterans.
Located on the northeast side of the Capitol plaza, the memorial recognizes 181 lives of firefighters lost in the line of duty dating back to 1885. It was unveiled at a dedication service on April 1, 2019.